The National School Climate Center’s whole school climate approach offers a portfolio of school-based services that are grounded in our core model and Toolbox and aligned to and supported by NSCC’s 14 Dimensions of School Climate.
These services include:
- A proprietary school climate walkthrough assessment. This assessment includes leadership interviews coupled with school level objective and systematic observations to provide deeper insights into potential areas of improvement, and measures the following NSCC-aligned indicators of school climate:
- Community values and expectations.
- Relationships between members of the community (i.e. student-student, student-adult, adult-adult).
- Physical, emotional and social safety in the environment.
- Approaches to bullying prevention, conflict, and discipline.
- Alignment of behavioral expectations across classrooms, shared spaces, and transitions.
This assessment also leads to creation of school-specific strategic action plans that link recommendations to a variety of existing Ramapo interventions, including: workshops, school leader and teacher coaching, student support team training, school culture team development, advisory support, and team and community building.
- The Comprehensive School Climate Inventory (CSCI): The CSCI is one of the nation’s most scientifically sound surveys with proven reliability and validity. The data captured through the CSCI conveys how students, parents/ guardians, and school personnel perceive a school’s particular climate for learning in a robust, user-friendly report which supports whole school communities learning and working together to understand their school community’s strengths, as well as areas for improvement. This assessment can be administered for environments that are engaged in virtual or in-person learning.
- Leadership Coaching: Capacity building with school leaders to implement climate improvement initiatives school-wide. This includes coaching existing school-based entities, such as Student Support Teams or School Culture Teams, that are tasked with monitoring school climate and managing school improvement efforts such as Student Support Teams or School Culture Teams.
Ramapo’s comprehensive set of services are designed to equip school administrators, staff, and students with the tools to build, improve and sustain positive school climates. This approach can be used with schools at all grade levels.