Our School Climate Improvement Process is based on a cyclical and continuous process of preparation, evaluation, understanding the evaluation findings and action planning, implementing the action plan, and re-evaluation and continuing the cycle of improvement efforts. This process grows out of NSCC’s experience with school, districts, networks of schools and State Departments of Education as well as research findings.
- The school community has a shared vision and plan for promoting, enhancing and sustaining a positive school climate.
- The school community sets policies specifically promoting (a) the development and sustainability of social, emotional, ethical, civic and intellectual skills, knowledge, dispositions and engagement, and (b) a comprehensive system to address barriers to learning and teaching and reengage students who have become disengaged.
- The school community's practices are identified, supported and prioritized to (a) promote the learning and positive social, emotional, ethical and civic development of students, (b) enhance engagement in teaching, learning, and school-wide activities; (c) address barriers to learning and teaching and reengage those who have become disengaged; and (d) develop and sustain an appropriate operational infrastructure and capacity building mechanisms for meeting this standard.
- The school community creates an environment where all members are welcomed, supported, and feel safe in school: socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically.
- TThe school community develops meaningful and engaging practices, activities and norms that promote social and civic responsibilities and a commitment to social justice.
NSCC works with schools on a daily basis to help them assess and improve their climates for learning, and the formation of this process is also largely culled from direct feedback from school community members who are actively utilizing these guidelines in their own schools. At NSCC, we believe these stages form the foundation for successful and sustained whole-school improvement. Click here to see the key guiding principles for implementing each stage effectively.